Friday, October 29, 2010

Re: GWT v2.1 MVP, STS/ROO, JDO, Objectify & App Engine

Thanks again, Jeff. GWT+GAE re-ignited my own enthusiasm for Web
development prior to my joining Google. It's the platform I've been
waiting for these past 2^4 years as a Web apps developer!

Regarding Roo templates for Objectify POJO support, I think you mean
that you'd like to contribute them? ;-) We aim to design the core APIs
such that it's possible to work with a variety of external projects,
but we can only take on so much support surface, so realistically this
will have to come from the community.

I don't know 2.1.1 timeframe yet, but I know that both the Roo and GWT
teams are anxious to do a follow-on point release to get in
enhancements like the ones I mentioned that were dropped from 2.1 in
order to meet dates.

Best,
/dmc

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Jeff Schwartz <jefftschwartz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Thank you for your timely response. Kudos well deserved should always be
> offered. I and a number of developer friends look upon GWT not as an
> evolutionary product but as a revolutionary one. One friend in fact recently
> commented that she hasn't had this much fun coding since Visual Basic which
> made me shudder as I am not now nor have I ever been a fan of MS based
> technologies, especially their DotNot web platform.. makes me shudder just
> typing this lol. But I am getting beside myself so back onto topic...
>
> I will certainly have a look at Roo's code generation templates however I'd
> really prefer not to have to modify them to obtain Objectify POJO support if
> you know what I mean :) I will try posting this question on both the Roo
> group and Objectify group as I suspect any developer not using JDO is going
> to or has already run into this issue.
>
> Regarding the point release, any hint about its release date? I've always
> used DAOs to implement business rules so their support will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Jeff
>
>
>
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 2:39 PM, David Chandler <drfibonacci@google.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> Thanks for the kudos. I have limited understanding of Roo, but I
>> believe you can modify the code generation templates to use any data
>> access layer you like. Having said that, your particular use case will
>> be much easier in the next GWT point release as we plan to add
>> RequestFactory support for @Embedded objects and support for DAO
>> classes.
>>
>> I know that Roo uses a modular architecture and the Expenses sample
>> app uses the Roo addon-gwt and addon-jpa modules, but for any more
>> detail than that, you'll probably want to ping the Roo forum.
>>
>> HTH,
>> /dmc
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Jeff Schwartz <jefftschwartz@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > First off, let me begin by saying how excited I am about the latest
>> > release
>> > of GWT, especially in regard to its new MVP frameworks. Congratulations,
>> > Google, and great job!
>> >
>> > I have an existing GWT/App Engine project which is based on the previous
>> > GWT
>> > release and which doesn't use any sort of framework whatsoever. It also
>> > doesn't use JDO/DataNucleus. It instead uses Objectify as its ORM. I've
>> > taken reasonable care to organize my code but as the app has grown in
>> > complexity it has increasingly become unwieldy.
>> >
>> > I would like to move to GWT v2.1. Doing so would provide many benefits,
>> > especially those provided by the MVP framework and ROO keeping things in
>> > sync between the back-end and client side. To that end I've installed
>> > STS
>> > with App Engine/GWT 2.1 integration. I've followed some of the few
>> > tutorials
>> > that I have been able to find using ROO to generate a CRUD enabled
>> > GWT/App
>> > Engine application but they all rely on using JDO & DataNucleus.
>> >
>> > My question then is what steps do I need to follow in order to have ROO
>> > generate an application that doesn't rely on JDO for its persistence
>> > layer,
>> > that instead uses my Objectify based POJOs but will still provide all
>> > the
>> > features and benefits of using ROO such as generating boilerplate code &
>> > noticing changes to my server based entities and aligning those changes
>> > with
>> > the client side DTOs/Records and Views? Is this even possible under the
>> > current version or is the current release tightly couple with JDO &
>> > DataNucleus? Is this even possible?
>> >
>> > If it is possible would someone be so kind as to post the actual
>> > commands
>> > I'd need to enter in ROO starting from the very beginning. Thanks in
>> > advance.
>> >
>> > Jeff
>> >
>> > --
>> > Jeff
>> >
>> > --
>> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> > Groups
>> > "Google Web Toolkit" group.
>> > To post to this group, send email to
>> > google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
>> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> > google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> David Chandler
>> Developer Programs Engineer, Google Web Toolkit
>> http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "Google Web Toolkit" group.
>> To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Jeff
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Google Web Toolkit" group.
> To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.
>

--
David Chandler
Developer Programs Engineer, Google Web Toolkit
http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment