Friday, October 29, 2010

Re: GWT v2.1 MVP, STS/ROO, JDO, Objectify & App Engine

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the kudos. I have limited understanding of Roo, but I
believe you can modify the code generation templates to use any data
access layer you like. Having said that, your particular use case will
be much easier in the next GWT point release as we plan to add
RequestFactory support for @Embedded objects and support for DAO
classes.

I know that Roo uses a modular architecture and the Expenses sample
app uses the Roo addon-gwt and addon-jpa modules, but for any more
detail than that, you'll probably want to ping the Roo forum.

HTH,
/dmc

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Jeff Schwartz <jefftschwartz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First off, let me begin by saying how excited I am about the latest release
> of GWT, especially in regard to its new MVP frameworks. Congratulations,
> Google, and great job!
>
> I have an existing GWT/App Engine project which is based on the previous GWT
> release and which doesn't use any sort of framework whatsoever. It also
> doesn't use JDO/DataNucleus. It instead uses Objectify as its ORM. I've
> taken reasonable care to organize my code but as the app has grown in
> complexity it has increasingly become unwieldy.
>
> I would like to move to GWT v2.1. Doing so would provide many benefits,
> especially those provided by the MVP framework and ROO keeping things in
> sync between the back-end and client side. To that end I've installed STS
> with App Engine/GWT 2.1 integration. I've followed some of the few tutorials
> that I have been able to find using ROO to generate a CRUD enabled GWT/App
> Engine application but they all rely on using JDO & DataNucleus.
>
> My question then is what steps do I need to follow in order to have ROO
> generate an application that doesn't rely on JDO for its persistence layer,
> that instead uses my Objectify based POJOs but will still provide all the
> features and benefits of using ROO such as generating boilerplate code &
> noticing changes to my server based entities and aligning those changes with
> the client side DTOs/Records and Views? Is this even possible under the
> current version or is the current release tightly couple with JDO &
> DataNucleus? Is this even possible?
>
> If it is possible would someone be so kind as to post the actual commands
> I'd need to enter in ROO starting from the very beginning. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Jeff
>
> --
> Jeff
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Google Web Toolkit" group.
> To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.
>

--
David Chandler
Developer Programs Engineer, Google Web Toolkit
http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment