Saturday, February 26, 2011

Re: is it possible to use an SLF4J adapter in GWT to wrap java.util.logging ?

Sent from my LG phone

Adligo <scott@adligo.com> wrote:

>To respond to the question....
>May I ask why do you need something like that? Basically everything
>what you need is inside of gwt-user package.
>
>I did it before the GWT project had java.util.Logging and
>some people do NOT like the java.util.Logging package,
>I see a lot more people using log4j (as it was the original logging
>library in java).
>
>It gives your project developers options of which logging
>implementation they want to use.
>
>For instance I develop a widget A, and it is used by two projects one
>uses log4j the other uses java.util.logging.
>If I use java.util.logging in my widget A, then the project that uses
>log4j will need to configure logging twice,
>which is a pain in the butt.
>Also vice versa.
>
>If my widget uses i_log, you can simply delegate the i_log message
>calls to log4j or java.util.logging
>so you only have one common logging config file to configure your
>logging implementation.
>
>Also for some code I can write it so that it will work on JSE, JME and
>GWT so I can keep some core logic shared rather than written more than
>once (and maintained more than once).
>
>Cheers,
>Scott
>
>
>
>On Feb 26, 11:54 am, Adligo <sc...@adligo.com> wrote:
>> Why didn't you use i_log, as I already finished it and open sourced it
>> several years ago?
>>
>> http://cvs.adligo.org/viewvc/i_log/
>> common logging api anywhere you could use a .java source file.
>> JSE, JME and GWT
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Scott
>>
>> On Feb 25, 5:50 am, Thomas Broyer <t.bro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> > On Friday, February 25, 2011 4:04:12 AM UTC+1, zixzigma wrote:
>>
>> > > is it possible to use an SL4J adapter in GWT to wrap java.util.logging ?
>>
>> > I started working on something like that at work, and we will eventually
>> > open source it.
>>
>> > For now, I can use Slf4J in my client code. In DevMode, it will use whatever
>> > Slf4j implementation it finds in the classpath (which means that it will
>> > write to the console, not to the DevMode window), and it compiles out in
>> > prod mode.
>> > I've been thinking recently about just wrapping java.util.logging (and using
>> > jul-to-slf4j.jar to format my logs using logback) instead of my default,
>> > emulated NOPLoggerFactory (used in web mode only), but we actually don't use
>> > it that much in client code (and overall), so I didn't invest any more time
>> > in it for now.
>>
>> > There's also a project on GitHub:https://github.com/derjan1982/slf4gwtmore
>> > like gwt-log than JUL integration in GWT though, IIRC.
>>
>> > > I would like to be able to use logging.properties file to define
>> > > formatting,
>> > > which I believe is not possible with java.util.logging.
>>
>> > I believe you can (at least in DevMode I mean, or when using a
>> > RemoteLogHandler), though you might have to make your own Formatter class
>> > (or pick a third-party one).
>
>--
>You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
>To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
>To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
>For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment