Monday, September 28, 2020

Re: Why Don’t You Use Java for Programming the Client-Side Web Apps on Web Browser?

First of all, let me say I'm a Java developer and I'm using GWT since years.

Having started developing java since 1996 (with java 1.0.2), I have seen many technologies and frameworks to help a java developer can use to build a UI on web browser (like applets, servlets, jsp, jsf, webstart).
I have met GWT many years ago and it was for me the right answer to my questions to develop by a single programming language both client and server sides.
And I'm still using.

Nevertheless there are some pain points that it's important do not under-estimate.

1. Java developer has to have some skills HTML, CSS and Javascript as well.
2. Usage of JSinterop to map a javascript code is not trivial even if it's complex. It's time consuming (time that you don't have to spend using Javascript).
3. GWT widgets should be modernized (even if there are other frameworks like Domino and GWT Materials but adding complexity).
4. Java code must be well designed in order to be efficient. Javascript (for its nature) allows you to develop very fast (time means cost).

In my opinion there are other reasons why Java developers during last years preferred to learn javascript for UI, like the unclear GWT future and roadmap, but maybe less important.

Il giorno giovedì 24 settembre 2020 alle 21:02:18 UTC+2 lofid...@gmail.com ha scritto:
I would like to know, what are the obstacles for you as Java developers not using Java as programming language for writing Web browser apps. Web browser apps are client-side and not server-side Web apps. 
I would like to know from you... Java developers...

Thanks, Lofi


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-web-toolkit/04bf418b-ec46-44b5-9556-c54bb95caf9dn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment