Monday, March 21, 2016

Re: GWT-Material vs Polymer

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for the comments. You've sold me on GWT-Material. I'm going to start playing with it more seriously.

Thanks!

E

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 7:39 AM, Stefan Falk <stefan.r.falk@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Evan!

I am using GWT Material Design for my current project. To be hones: I can't really compare anything because I went straight for it. I was looking at other stuff like SmartGWT but let's not talk about that.

What I can tell, like Gilberto already mentioned, is that building on the "old" Widget GWT classes is not a disadvantage. It's the exact opposite in fact. You're very flexible and you can mix GWTMD with GWT vanilla elements. No headache there. No unnecessary dependencies and should you ever decide to switch or to mix with another library you'll very thankful for that.

What I can also tell is that the two guys Gilberto and Kevin (I think that should be his name XD) are very active and incredible fast when it comes to adding new widgets. Also, the code is quite contribution friendly imho. I contributed some lines myself very recently.

Using GWTMD for a few months now I have to say that I have no complaints so far. There were/are some minor issues at the moment but they are all related to the currently developed version v1.5.0. But so far it was also no pain for me to work on the bleeding edge.

I am sorry that my comment is a little one-sided but to summarize: GWTMD is awesome and the default style it comes shipped is already a very good base to start for an awesome design imho!

BR; Stefan


On Tuesday, 15 March 2016 18:06:22 UTC+1, Evan Ruff wrote:
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could chime in about some of the new libraries being used. I'm interested in creating a new modern application and I have experimented with GWT-Material, Polymer Elements and GWT-Elemento with CSS3 (GSS). 

I like the syntax of GWT-Elemento and that it tracks very closely to the DOM. I would say that's the best and worst parts of it, in that nothing is really pre-built and I'm doing a lot of UI work myself.

I used Polymer Elements from Vaadin and they seem to work well, but are pretty cumbersome. They feel slow to load on mobile devices and I have some issues sometimes with them not loading when an application is new. I believe this is using the new Web Components stuff which is cool and is the future, but how important is it RIGHT NOW if I want to build a modern, responsive, quick app?

GWT-Material seems great, but I know it's based on the old Widget GWT classes which have fallen a bit out of favor. How has that effected people's experience with the library? I imagine it makes it harder to style the elements and such (with all the inner/outer containers, etc)? Will the library be left behind in GWT 3.0 if Widget support is removed, or do the authors have a plan to migrate?

I do feel like GWT-material lets me get off the ground and be more productive.

Just trying to understand what the best options are for a greenfield application,

Thanks!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/google-web-toolkit/ElDM-yTCf5M/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment