Thursday, November 9, 2017

Re: I'm enhancing GWT to provide Java stack traces for clientside exceptions in production

Thanks for sharing this... what is the license of it and is there a patch file (containing only the differences to the GWT SDK) or only the modified classes?

Am Mittwoch, 8. November 2017 04:30:20 UTC+1 schrieb Alex Epshteyn:
This project is now on GitHub: https://github.com/aepshteyn/gwt-stack-trace-kit

You can download the stack-trace-enabled GWT 2.5.0 SDK from the project releases.

If anyone would like to continue this effort and port this over to the latest GWT branch, I'll do my best to help!

On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 at 4:56:40 PM UTC-4, Alex Epshteyn wrote:
Dear fellow GWT users,

I would like to announce that I have finally solved what I always thought to be GWT's greatest weakness: its lack of debugging information for client-side exceptions in production.  

With my patch, your deployed app will be able to report stack traces like this:

com.google.gwt.core.client.JavaScriptException: (TypeError) : a is null
com.google.gwt.dom.client.DOMImplMozilla.$getBodyOffsetLeft(DOMImplMozilla.java:145) 
com.google.gwt.user.client.ui.PopupPanel.$setPopupPosition(Document.java:1287)
com.google.gwt.user.client.ui.PopupPanel.setPopupPosition(PopupPanel.java:884)
com.google.gwt.user.client.ui.PopupPanel.PopupPanel(PopupPanel.java:453) 
com.typeracer.commons.client.widgets.EnhancedPopup.EnhancedPopup(EnhancedPopup.java:32)
com.typeracer.commons.client.widgets.PopupWithIcon.PopupWithIcon(PopupWithFocusableTextBox.java:28) 
com.typeracer.main.client.controller.TyperacerUncaughtExceptionHandler$1.execute(TyperacerUncaughtExceptionHandler.java:55) 
com.google.gwt.core.client.impl.SchedulerImpl.runScheduledTasks(SchedulerImpl.java:50) 
etc... :-)

instead of the current state of affairs that looks like this:

lineNumber: 3190 columnNumber: 15354: a is null; (TypeError) fileName:  http://localhost:8088/9C4DC2D905BEA407601C92C56B43E3B8.cache.html 
etc... :-(

I am asking the community to support me in finishing this effort and integrating my patch into GWT.  Please take a look and what I've done, and consider making a donation:


I am an indie developer and I just need some funding to continue this work.  I'm looking for both grassroots and corporate sponsorship for my quest of improving GWT's error reporting and debugging support.

I've written a detailed white paper ( http://goo.gl/YGsrQ ) that describes how my solution works and why it is necessary.  I welcome your feedback!

Thanks!
Alex

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment