Wednesday, January 29, 2014

GWT Reference Development Platform

Hello,

It seems to me in this day and age of virtual machines it might make sense for the GWT community to come up with a reference development platform configuration for GWT (ala the Linux Standard Base), preferably as VM snapshots (qcow2, vmdk, or whatever).  Then, when someone develops something and they want to make it available, they could verify that it works (and the steps necessary to get it to work) on a reference platform (tested on the 2.5.1 reference platform).

I expect that would eliminate a huge amount of configuration issues and questions here and on stack overflow, etc.  If someone has a problem, the first question could be, "Does it work on the reference platform?"  

Obviously, using Windows is out of the question because of licensing.  But, a Fedora (or some other Linux) distro with an Eclipse version (presumably Java, or Java EE editions) seems reasonable.  I think a 64-bit VM with 4G of RAM would be rather typical these days.

I bring this up because I have just done an install of Fedora 20, Eclipse Kepler Java EE SR1 in a new 64-bit VM (4G).  I also installed the GPE and m2e-apt plugins.  I then try to generate a nice starter project for GWT 2.6.0 (with the gwt-maven-plugin 2.6.0-rc3 template)  and import it.  That works pretty well.  It runs in dev mode in eclipse and the test launches work too.  So far, so good.

But, if I do a 'mvn install' or a 'mvn package' the compiler crashes (*** Error in `java': double free or corruption).  Almost certainly this is due to a memory issue with the jvm.  Now, I'm sure after a bit of work, I will figure out a fix.

Now, on the other hand, if I run the same thing on my real development machine (Fedora 19 with Eclipse Java, not EE but a bunch of plugins) the 'mvn install' and 'mvn package' work fine.  But, when I try to import the maven project into eclipse, the maven update crashes with a null pointer.  Again, after more work, I'm sure I will figure that out too.

That seems to me to be the case with a lot of example code for GWT.  Especially when maven is in the picture.

My twenty cents.

Rick Lochner

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment