Saturday, February 20, 2016

Re: ProjectStruture

Hi Kirill,

​It was my understanding that GWT used rpc as its protocol.  Additionally, as im constrained to JS libraries, I dont have access to any of the Document / XML modelling and parsing libraries that I use in core Java, so thought that XML based HTTP communication was not an option.

How can a GWT front-end, make standard requests and parse responses of plain http based XML?
Can it also handle file uploads to servlets?

Apologies... perhaps i've got a huge gap in my understanding.  I went through "GWT In Action" book, and didnt see anything that suited my project.

Regards, Sam​


On 20 February 2016 at 12:13, Kirill Prazdnikov <pkirill@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry, I did not get you question.

You server uses HTTP protocol. 
You are able to sent HTTP requests form a GWT application to you server.

What prevents you from doing that ? 

-Kirill

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 11:29:05 AM UTC+3, Sam Wootton wrote:
Hello Kirill,

That's *exactly* what I want to aim for, that would be ideal. Hence my original post. But given that my communication between my java swing client and my servlets was xml based e.g.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<MFRequest>
<Request type='Login' data=''/>
<Login username='sam' password='test'/>
</MFRequest>

<MFResponse>
<Response type='Login'>
<Login name='Sam' session='CF66F005071BD0BC4F0B4D089A4F191A'/>
</Response>
</MFResponse>

now looks like (from the front-end)
server.loginUser(userName, password, repo);

then all the xml modelling is no longer applicable, and org.w3c.dom.* libraries used in the swing client to parse the XML arent available in gwt. on my server I use Document Builder and sax libraries. As mentioned in my previous post, I had a front-controller pattern e.g.

ControllerServlet
> LoginServlet
> UploadServlet
> UpdateServlet
.... etc

which Im finding hard to model in gwt's rpc world.  If i could just use a new gwt client with my old xml / servlet based server - then great! id be very happy indeed. I should also mention that my application uses multi-part file uploads too.

Regards, Sam
 

On 20 February 2016 at 06:22, Kirill Prazdnikov <pki...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can you avoid rewriting the server code at all ? 
It might be possible to just rewrite a client in GWT and leave the protocol as is.

 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/google-web-toolkit/rR0liCZDSl4/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment