Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Re: Is GWT not being massively adopted because the crawler problem?

Oh my, Alain, this is so true! That's the main problem with anything "fast to start, hard to maintain".

I always use this example of how GWT can help on the long term: like most of the systems, I have a project with a "User" table. Which is mapped to a "User" pojo. One of the columns/fields of the User is the "e-mail". Well, after years of development of the system, at some point a use case made me modify the User to have multiple e-mails, not a single static one. The never-easy-problem to change 1-1 to 1-N. On Java, I modified the field from String to List<String>, and since my model classes are shared between server and client, every single spot of the code where I expected String instead of List<String> gave me a compile error. An error from the language saying "Dude, there's something wrong here. Fix it or I'll never allow you to run the application again".

I prefer a compiler saying what's wrong with the system than an angry customer on my phone.

After fixing every red dot on my IDE, I got it running with 0 runtime errors.

That's what GWT delivers to me: safety. How many frameworks out there can truly deliver that?

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 11:20:57 AM UTC-2, Alain wrote:
Well it s always good to know upfron what you are trying. Most of the time this easy to setup argument bite you in the a*** later.

Tell me about the "JS is fast for  prototyping thing"

We had a project that was supposed to be " Just a prototype for the customer, So she can have an Idea. If we have a go we will rewrite it with a more robust stack"

The all of the sudden "the customer likes the prototype so much she needs this yesterday. We cant rewrite. We hav to build on top of the prototype"

Result : A big JS mess that no one could maintain

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment