Monday, October 27, 2014

Re: Accessing development system from another machine

Hello Blake, 

I'm new to GWT and I'm using IntelliJ. Would you mind if you post here the detailed procedure that you did? I'm also trying to debug using a connection from other machine (IE8 support) within the network.

Thank you so much for the help.
Rein

On Monday, February 10, 2014 11:42:07 AM UTC+8, Blake wrote:
I solved this particular problem (running code for testing on a different machine in non-debug mode) by simply adding an intellij run config for tomcat.  (I probably didn't explain what I was look for well.  Sorry.)

I also spent a bunch of time reading and experimenting with SuperDevMode.  I see that DevMode plugins are likely to disappear soon, and since SuperDevMode doesn't require a plugin, we need to move to SuperDevMode soon.  I spent a bunch of time trying to get SuperDevMode working unsuccessfully.  I left off at the point where I discovered that you need two servers running - one for the app - and one for the debug code.  I had trouble coordinating all this with intellij alone.  Not sure if I need a separate tomcat running or intellij can handle both servers.  I suppose this is a project for another day.

Thanks for the help!

Blake





On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Blake McBride <bl...@arahant.com> wrote:
On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 4:06 PM, Jens <jens.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't understand the DevMode and SuperDevMode terms.

Thats pretty hard to believe...you should read that up before calling yourself a GWT developer ;)

I just assumed it meant the browser mode that utilized the GWT developer plugin.  Actually I've written over 200 classes in GWT over the last year or so.  It is amazing what you can do just muddling with it...

I have no idea what the difference between DevMode and SuperDevMode is.

 

Anyways, in IntelliJ you have a GWT run configuration. This run configuration starts GWT's DevMode (or SuperDevMode if activated) and allows you to configure it by adding DevMode parameters. If you add the "-bindAddress <your network ip>" parameter DevMode will listen for requests on your network address instead of your loopback device.

Once you have done that you can launch DevMode in IntelliJ and access your GWT app from any host on your network. Instead of 


your app will then be reachable through:


Okay I did this.  What happened is as follows:

1.  For some reason I am no longer able to access the app from the development machine itself.  I get "Plugin failed to connect to Development Mode server at 192.168.0.2:9997.  Not important for my purposes.

2.  I can now access it from the other machine but, perhaps not surprisingly, IE fails on the GWT plugin bit.

I was hoping to start up the development environment in such a manner that it operates just as if I started it up with tomcat or glassfish.  I don't need debug functionality.  I just want to see what it looks like in operation without the effort and time required to deploy.

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks.

Blake





 



-- J.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-we...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment