Monday, June 3, 2019

Re: GWT - Still Active ?

I can see why you would be frustrated ... and the GWT documentation is not particularly good. For us superdev+browser debugging mode "just works" as long as you do not change the linker. We don't have a massive app (~700K lines of client-side java source code across 37 directory trees + lots different jars) and generally we don't embed assets in javascript (which can degrade performance and increase js size).

These days we tend to debug in the browser rather than the IDE as historically IntelliJ struggled debugging large browser apps (although I believe this is no longer true) but we now find the browser debugger nicer to work with as it has all the other browser goodies.

I would recommend starting with a very simple app and seeing if you can get source maps and debugging working with that and then work from there. https://gitter.im/gwtproject/gwt is usually helpful and someone else was helped with this recently...

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 11:13 PM Edson Richter <brviking@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, let's name few problems here:

1) Source maps: I don't know why, but Chrome can't find them. I've tried everything (I swear, I followed step by step every tutorial in earth - it just wont work. It may be because our folder structure that is bit more complex than those simple examples).
2) So, I'll forget and leave Java sources, and try to debug Javascript code. I've configured GWT compiler to produce "pretty", "non-obfuscated code". The generated javascript files are so big that chrome can't open it in developer mode. I just open an "empty" window. Nothing else.

Just to let you know, I'm using NetBeans - but this has nothing to do with the IDE I use - I'm just talking about debug javascript code.

I do consider myself a experienced engineer, having worked with several languages and systems - but I can't manage to get superdevmode working at all. May be just my system is currently too large.

Regards,

Edson


Em domingo, 2 de junho de 2019 15:01:04 UTC-3, Andrew Buck escreveu:
Debugging of both the server and client code works great. I'm not sure why it doesn't work for you. Client side debugging is done in the browser console using source maps that are automatically generated by the GWT compiler.

On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 3:22:09 PM UTC-7, Edson Richter wrote:
This is my opinion (from a person with more than 30 years of experience in software enginnering), and I respect every other persons opinion - I'll just not put my eggs on this basket for another 8 years "just to see if it will get better".
Last year I had big issue with dates, because GWT has outdated DST tables (backend had correct dates, front end show everything one hour earlier!!!). This is just one little big problem for enterprise apps. I've asked support for this issue here, without any result (if someone had pointed me how to fix, I'll contribute code back to the project!). Finally, I had to write my own DST table and use "creativity" to overcome this "bug".
Not having support is also a big issue.
Not being able to debug the code anymore is another one.
More and more, GWT will get those "pieces" failing... and finally, it won't be usable anymore.

Regards,

Edson


Em sexta-feira, 31 de maio de 2019 11:41:27 UTC-3, Jamal Romero escreveu:
Out of curiosity, what would prevent someone still build projects based on current GWT 2.8.2 and keep using all the goodies? I think as of 2.8.2 it is future proof especially with a shift to jsinteop included in current release version? People even with current version took their own path and modernized part of GWT like the excellent gwt material & domino ui kit.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-web-toolkit/6f3dfaf6-ab6e-400a-a154-35b3c386422d%40googlegroups.com.


--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-web-toolkit/CACiKNc7Oyn33n_MfPsQwTzAW31UP9fkyZ4CNbRTrZwS%2Bo%3DP9yw%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment