Friday, November 20, 2015

Re: Mojo's maven-gwt-plugin or Thomas's maven-gwt-plugin?

Hello,

I'm trying to use the gwt-maven-plugin version 2.8.0-SNAPSHOT but it seems Maven can't load it:

Downloading: https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/google-snapshots/org/codehaus/mojo/gwt-maven-plugin/2.8.0-SNAPSHOT/gwt-maven-plugin-2.8.0-SNAPSHOT.pom
[WARNING] The POM for org.codehaus.mojo:gwt-maven-plugin:jar:2.8.0-SNAPSHOT is missing, no dependency information available
[ERROR] Plugin org.codehaus.mojo:gwt-maven-plugin:2.8.0-SNAPSHOT or one of its dependencies could not be resolved: Failed to read artifact descriptor for org.codehaus.mojo:gwt-maven-plugin:jar:2.8.0-SNAPSHOT: Could not find artifact org.codehaus.mojo:gwt-maven-plugin:pom:2.8.0-SNAPSHOT in google-snapshots (https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/google-snapshots/) -> [Help 1]

Any idea what am I doing wrong?


Le vendredi 20 novembre 2015 13:35:33 UTC+1, Thomas Broyer a écrit :


On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 11:46:22 AM UTC+1, Martin Trummer wrote:
@Thomas: I am surprised, that you make a maven plugin.
I can remember one of your blog posts was like "Maven is broken by design"
Then, why do you write a maven plugin?

Ha, because a) I happen to still use Maven in some projects† and b) Maven users deserve a better plugin than Mojo's one, and an overall better Maven+GWT integration.
This is also one reason I created and continue to maintain my Maven archetypes for GWT: https://github.com/tbroyer/gwt-maven-archetypes

† I even tend to use Maven by default for libraries; but I avoid it all all costs for applications.

Did Maven improve with version 3.x,

I don't think I ever used anything else than 3.x (or only briefly, and not really knowing Maven at the time). But yes there's been some progress in 3.2 and 3.3.
But my main issues with Maven (it's linear lifecycle, and how it's applied to a reactor build) are by-design and I really doubt they'll ever change that.
 
or is there just no other alternative for some reason?

There are, and I'd written about it too: http://blog.ltgt.net/in-quest-of-the-ultimate-build-tool/
I'm a (rather) happy Gradle user, lurking at Bazel.
 
What build system would you recommend for a new gwt project?

Gradle without an hesitation, either with the gwt-gradle-plugin (I must say I never used it though; haven't created a new GWT project since I settled on Gradle, or created projects for customers who asked for Maven) or rolling your own tasks;
but if you're familiar with Maven and don't have major issues with it, then go ahead and then just pick one of the gwt-maven-plugin.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment