Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Re: Static vs dynamic String internationalization

That, of course, depends on the application requirement.
I work on a very large app which is not (only) used by ourselves, but by other organizations.
And on each organization, administrators can change translations on the fly - just a F5 or logout / login away.
In this scenario, of course, there is no choice.
We even created a custom translations loading mechanism that efficiently use the browser cache and load translations in parts, as there are more than 4k keys, as we don't want all them to be always downloaded.
Each page (it all started in GWT 1.5, before GWT places existed) knows which translation part it needs, so we guarantee to load the required translations before showing the page.
But, I agree, it is a very specific requirement. Maybe 99% of the applications are fine with static internationalization. We're part of the other 1%.
-- Luis

Em segunda-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2015 19:33:34 UTC-3, Jens escreveu:

- The big advantage of dynamic internationalization to me, is that I can store my translations in a database, and update texts without the need of stopping servers to deploy a new compiled version of my application.
Not sure if its that big of an advantage. IMHO translations rarely change and the number of supported languages is probably already known upfront and does not change often either.

Also if done right, updating an app does not cause any downtime especially if only translations have changed or languages have been added. The worst case is that a user gets a message "App has been updated and needs to be reloaded". If your app uses history tokens (e.g. GWT places) then reloading the current place doesn't really hurt.

-- J.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment