Wednesday, July 24, 2019

java.time

Please excuse me if this topic has been discussed before. I did look but I didn't find anything recent.

I was looking to use java.time with GWT. I saw it was not supported "out of the box" in 2.8.2. I looked around for libraries and found https://github.com/m-m-m/gwt-time. It was not complete, but I fixed a few things and it worked well enough for me.

What do you use for java.time? Do you use that library, or something else?

The original maintainer of the m-m-m project was helpful, but not interested in continuing maintenance. I have offered to take offer this project, so now it lives in my GitHub repository.

This is my understanding of the situation:
  • The code originated from another project, but is used with permission.
  • The code is copyright some other people, therefore, I imagine it cannot be merged with GWT core.
  • There is a lot missing:
    • I'm not convinced all classes are implemented? The ones I was looking for are implemented, but there might be others that are not.
    • It was never designed for GWT so it uses concurrent maps in some place (easy enough to replace with normal maps), java.util.Locale in some places.
    • It doesn't have converters to allow seriazliation of the types from client to the server.
    • There are no tests
  • The code is not currently on Maven Central. The procedure is checking out from Git, doing "mvn install", then using it. I would be happy to publish it to Maven Central if there was interest.
  • The current version numbering mirrors GWT, so it's currently "2.8.2-SNAPSHOT". I'm not sure this is really helpful.
So I am going to slowly improve the code for my usage (i.e. where my project needs a class or encounters a bug, I will make the change and publish it). I have added the facility for LocalDate to be sent between the client and the server (that is the only class I need at the moment) so adding client-server communication for other classes should be easy too.

I welcome your thoughts. You are welcome to use it, and of course pull requests are welcome too. If there is another implementation that is better, I am happy to abandon this repository and use (and submit pull requests to) the better one.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-web-toolkit/29a58e13-914b-4cfb-b4aa-26ad63dcaa09%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment