Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Re: Recommended GWT Map Library?

Another (not free) library for map display is Sasha Maps (http://www.maryanovsky.com/sasha/maps/).
I used this in combination with GWT-Graphics (from Vaadin) to draw polygons on top of the map (Sasha maps has function to convert world-coordinates to pixel coordinates to make this easier).

I also used GWT-Openlayers (and actually contributed a lot of code to it (like almost the entire showcase).
GWT-Openlayers has the advantage that you will be able to use WMS and WFS servers and don't have to go through special hoops to display polygons on the map.

For simple projects I prefer Sasha maps, if more advanced stuff is needed (like drawing on the map, and storing the results in a geoserver) I prefer GWT-Openlayers.


I think the API from both products is quite different from GoogleMaps wrappers. API from Sasha-maps is certainly easier, also because is has less functionallity than GWT-Openlayers.

grt
Frank


Op dinsdag 25 augustus 2015 20:16:34 UTC+2 schreef Kevin Workman:
I've been using gwt-google-apis as a GWT wrapper of the Google Maps JavaScript API. I've been using the jar from here.

It works okay, but I'm starting a new GWT project that requires a map display, and I noticed that the jar hasn't been updated since 2012.

I'm starting a new project from scratch, so I'm in a position to start over with a new wrapper, if that's the correct way to go. I've come across GWT-OpenLayers, which looks promising, but I'm not sure how much of a change it will be from using the Google API wrapper. I've also come across branflake2267's wrapper, but that hasn't been updated in over a year.

So, my question is: what would you consider the "best" approach to displaying a map in a GWT application? Should I stick with the "official" google product? All I really need to do is display some polygons and circles on the map, but adding stuff like weather would be a really nice feature as well. Are there any libraries that I missed that are worth checking out?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment