Friday, March 28, 2014

Re: Development Mode will not be supported in Firefox 27+

Could you elaborate on how you have your POM setup?  I'm trying to make the switch to SDM but I get errors running run-codeserver.  Your setup seems ideal I'd like to know how you have both of those things configured.  Not sure it matters but I use IntelliJ instead of Eclipse...DM worked great.

-Dave

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:36:41 PM UTC-7, Joseph Lust wrote:
I'm surprised more folks are not excited to jump ship to SuperDevMode. 

I'd argue Eclipse DevMode is more pain than it's worth. Certainly, it is very cool to have your backend and frontend breakpoints set and hit on the same screen. Yet I've spent a lot of time trying to all of the Run Configurations setup properly. Have a multi-module project? Have an OSGi project? Trying to debug a remote server? Working with JSO's? It's a bit of trial and error and not always possible. Startup is slow. Recompile is even slower and it's a memory hog, crashing with OutOfMemory more than I'd like. Plus, you need a ring of chicken blood around your computer to ward of breakages with new browser upgrades.

Enter SDM. I open one console type mvn tomcat7:run-war. I open a second and run mvn gwt:run-codeserver. No need for configuration settings windows and embedded Jetty's. No need to even have an IDE at all! Personally I find simpler, imperative tooling much easier to use and troubleshoot. Add to this Chrome Dev Tools will be a full fledged IDE soon at the rate they're adding features and FF Dev Tools have also come a very long way since FireBug.

Finally, don't we want the GWT team to spend their time building new features rather than keeping old tooling alive in the ICU? I think GWT's hit an inflection point where dumping IE everything and DevMode would free up a lot of resources. Many projects never make such painful decisions and become dinosaurs for it. I hope GWT does not.

Sincerely,
Joseph

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment