Wednesday, January 30, 2013

GWT Best practice for preventing duplicate requests and displaying busy icon

Hello,
 I am a new GWT developer and I have been doing a lot of reading, writing test programs, and watching presentations by GWT gurus. But I have not yet found any article that shows how to solve the following problem that I believe should be a vary common problem for GWT applications. If some could please point me to the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Here it goes:
1. I have a bunch of services that I can call on the server and I know that some of those services take a lot of time to return while some are very quick.
2. I also know that due to unreliable network, the services that are supposed to return results really quick may also take a long time or may never even return.


Now, based on the above, my UI is supposed to behave like this:

1. For calls that I know are going to take a long time, it should display "Loading, please wait..." kind of dialog right way. I want to prevent the user from doing anything for say at least 10 seconds and after that I will assume that something is wrong and remove the dialog and let the user do whatever he wants.

2. For calls I know will return quickly, I don't want to show the "Please wait" dialog right away. May be wait for a second (because I expect a response in a second), and then show the dialog. But when the dialog is NOT displayed, I don't want the same request to be fired again and again. i.e. I don't want the user to rapid fire the "Do It" button.

Is there a standard way to handle this kind of a thing in GWT?

thank you!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment