Thursday, April 25, 2024

Seeking Advice on Legacy Application Migration Strategy

Hello GWT Users Community,

I'm currently working on a large legacy application stack, using Java 8, Hibernate version 5.3.20.Final, and Hibernate Search 5.11.5.Final. Our frontend technology stack includes GWT version 2.8.2 and GXT version 2.3.1a-gwt22. Fontend and backend arent well de-coupled.

In my initial approach to modernize the application, I began by migrating Hibernate to version 6.2, assuming it would be the easiest step. However, I encountered an issue where Hibernate 6.2 requires transitioning to Jakarta Persistence. When attempting to compile parts of my codebase, I received the following error:

java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: jakarta/persistence/Transient has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 55.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0

This suggests that I need to execute my code with JDK 11. However, when attempting to do so, I encountered the following issue:

[ERROR] Found resouce but unrecognized URL format: 'jrt:/java.sql/javax/sql/DataSource.class' java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/sql/DataSource

After reviewing your discussions in the GWT contributors group, I'm questioning whether starting with the Hibernate migration is the right approach. Should I instead prioritize migrating Java or perhaps GWT? I would greatly appreciate your insights and advice based on your experiences.

Thank you,

WM

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-web-toolkit/dea97a11-0e1d-471a-8de6-9b92a79f0187n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment