Friday, July 26, 2013

Re: push data from server to clients

Hi,

I also had such a requirement and I tried some libraries providing special technologies for this purpose (Comet, WebSockets, etc.). However, none of these libraries was "light-weight", because they provided a lot of funcitionality that I did not need.

Now I realized it using a polling technique: The clients make a server call every 3 seconds requesting the next event. The server maintains event queues for every client that made such a call within the last period of time (1 hour). If something happens on the server, a new event is created and put into the queues of the listening clients.

This solution works perfectly for me. I am sure, I could increase the polling frequency without problems, and I also believe that the special technologies like Comet do not provide much more realtime handling, because there are many disturbing factors (network traffic, server load, etc.).

Magnus

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment