Friday, September 10, 2010

Re: Gwt-platform vs Guit

Guit is a low level, general purpose framework, thats why it will never have validation or data bindings.
For validation you can wait to gwt 2.1, or look into trunk, there is some work on a jrs-303 generator.
Gwt 2.1 also have some work on bean binding, but I have only used the new cell widgets... should take a look at the data binding stuff

2010/9/10 notcourage <klrfin@gmail.com>
Thx for your contributions & this lively exchange.

Am I the only one surprised that it is almost 2011 yet GWT doesn't
have input validation & data binding? (I'm going to study SmartGWT
shortly.) Does guit or gwt-platform? How will google's upcoming mvp
framework impact yours?

On Aug 24, 10:36 am, Gal Dolber <gal.dol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That would be great! more people we get into gwt better :D
>
> Yes, I have tried apt a bit, but a couldn't get it working. I need to give
> it another change with more time
>
> 2010/8/24 Christian Goudreau <goudreau.christ...@gmail.com>
>
>
>
> > Well in that case, what do you think about Eclipse APT ?
>
> > As for the first comment about MVP, I'm not really breaking it, only
> > extending it and it's also something that you can find here:
>
> >http://code.google.com/intl/fr-FR/webtoolkit/articles/mvp-architectur...
>
> > I'm not going any further than what's done here.
>
> > I'll look forward to those changes, you really got something great and
> > hopefully Gwt-Platform and Guit will grow over this :D
>
> > Cheers,
>
> > On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Gal Dolber <gal.dol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I consider myself a pure mvp developer. But no without a reason...
> >> Every time that I said... "I will break to pattern here, it will get
> >> simpler.." I end up with shitty implementations.. and when I go back a
> >> re-write them with mvp.. *WHOALA!*, the code gets simpler and finally
> >> makes sense.
> >> So I decided to stop trying to break the pattern and find a way to
> >> simplify it. Thats Guit.
>
> >> The $ convention is all over the place :) ... using generated setters
> >> solve to problem of maintaining the view, and it gets really easy to write
> >> "view.button$setText("Do not click!");" in your presenter and let eclipse
> >> create the method for you...
>
> >> Anyway, I am planning to solve the type-safe problem with a plugin for
> >> eclipse.
> >> I already wrote a validation plugin for EventBusHandlers and
> >> ViewHandlers...
>
> >> @ViewHandler
> >> public void button$click() { // If the view doesn't have a "button" field
> >> it gives if an alert
> >> }
>
> >> But the validation plugin worked with the old version of the framework,
> >> any time soon I will update it to work with the current one, and also add
> >> validation for GuitView setters.
>
> >> The plugin also have wizard for: Event/Handler, Action/Response/Handler
> >> and Presenter/View/ViewUiBinder/GinModule. I will release it as soon as
> >> possible...I am missing it myself.. still Guit error messages are great, but
> >> you need to Refresh the browser, Re-Run your test or compile to get them...
>
> >> 2010/8/24 Christian Goudreau <goudreau.christ...@gmail.com>
>
> >>> What a shame, I didn't read everything... Just saw your example, I really
> >>> don't like that naming convention of yours :D I would prefer something more
> >>> type safe that doesn't involve long named fonctions separated with $ to
> >>> access something.
>
> >>> Cheers,
>
> >>> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Christian Goudreau <
> >>> goudreau.christ...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>>> I believe is good to have 2 frameworks instead of one... competition
> >>>>> leads to great things..
>
> >>>> I agree with that point :D
>
> >>>> I will love to hear your opinion on this:
> >>>>>http://code.google.com/p/guit/wiki/GuitViewDesign
>
> >>>> Already took a loot, well first note, I'm not a conventional MVP user
> >>>> and don't take my arguments as if I wanted to be one :D I'm more a MVP part
> >>>> 2 like explained in the GWT page. Since you've done a good job to automate
> >>>> the event process between the view and the presenter, what will follow will
> >>>> probably not apply to your framework. No need for your binder class if you
> >>>> do MVP part 2 :D No custom annotation needed too and also no need to learn
> >>>> anything but what GWT already offer in that case.
>
> >>>> I think that when GWT introduced UiBinder, the already gave us a passive
> >>>> view that does nothing rendering our implementation of the MVP pattern a
> >>>> little bit more complexe since we had to pass everything from another
> >>>> passive view to the presenter. That's why, I'm giving a little more work to
> >>>> my "views" that apply to simple local task that isn't relevant to the
> >>>> presenter, thus simplifying my code and making it more easy to understand
> >>>> and more easy to read. Yes I have to test it, but I have simple test to
> >>>> write that I would have wrote inside my presenters anyway. Now I have a
> >>>> clear distinction between what's relevant to my app and what's relevant only
> >>>> to my view. You may disagree with me, but I ripped around 15 % lines of code
> >>>> in my apps by doing this.
>
> >>>> What's your going to do will disallow that, while not being a bad thing
> >>>> if you really have two passive view (view and view.ui.xml), but wouldn't be
> >>>> enough for that pattern that I now love :D
>
> >>>> Then another big question, how this will work with UiBinder for custom
> >>>> widgets that you'll make ? Yeah well, I think we fall back to old ways
> >>>> without any presenter associated.
>
> >>>> Anyway, I'm more a doer than a thinker, so I'll let anyone else
> >>>> elaborate on the subject :D (Philippe Beaudoin is the brain behind
> >>>> Gwt-Platform :D)
>
> >>>> Cheers,
>
> >>>> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Gal Dolber <gal.dol...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >>>>> Hi Christian!
>
> >>>>> I will love to join forces to have one great framework, but the truth
> >>>>> is that Guit started a year ago as the infrastructure for a project I am
> >>>>> about to finish right now. The funny part is that I also started looking at
> >>>>> the code of gwt-presenter and mvp4g.
>
> >>>>> I believe is good to have 2 frameworks instead of one... competition
> >>>>> leads to great things..
>
> >>>>> Now, about the Async places, if you annotate the Presenter's Place with
> >>>>> RunAsync your place automatically gets splitted (
> >>>>>http://code.google.com/p/guit/wiki/PlaceManager, at the bottom).
>
> >>>>> Also, one important thing about Guit is that all that generated code
> >>>>> that it produces is the same that you will hand-write without it.
> >>>>> You can see that looking at the generated code... you will only find
> >>>>> event registrations and a few field bindings, but you will never feel like
> >>>>> loosing control over your code.
>
> >>>>> I will love to hear your opinion on this:
> >>>>>http://code.google.com/p/guit/wiki/GuitViewDesign
> >>>>> That's the craziest change in my mvp implementation so far, and I
> >>>>> loving it. I am looking for down-sides and extra requirements that I didn't
> >>>>> think of yet.
>
> >>>>> Cheers!
>
> >>>>> 2010/8/24 Christian Goudreau <goudreau.christ...@gmail.com>
>
> >>>>> I saw that you can add an annotation over functions, but over an entire
> >>>>>> place, I don't know. Also, yeah well you may be generating a lot of code
> >>>>>> with generators, but I'm afraid that in the end, you'll loose freedom for
> >>>>>> customization.
>
> >>>>>> I would have loved to join forces into making a great framework
> >>>>>> instead of having different products, but I think each project have their
> >>>>>> good and bad points, even if we still have to fully compare each
> >>>>>> products.Our devotion to GWT-Platform started with Gwt-Presenter and we're
> >>>>>> committed to support it and improve it along with our users. Our commitment
> >>>>>> is to the community and it will always be a priority to improve our users
> >>>>>> experience with GWT-Platform and GWT.
>
> >>>>>> Anyway, nice job Gal, it's sure saves a lot of boiler plate for simple
> >>>>>> web pages like our Samples, I'll take a look even more deeper to see where
> >>>>>> it goes against something more complexe. Until I can speek with more
> >>>>>> objectivity while talking about Guit, I'll only say two thing: Open source
> >>>>>> rock and thanks for this comparison.
>
> >>>>>> Cheers,
>
> >>>>>> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Magno Machado <magn...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >>>>>>> I'm already using GWTP in a project, and what I most like on it is
> >>>>>>> how easy it is to have a presenter loaded asynchronously, this is done with
> >>>>>>> one line of code.
>
> >>>>>>> How is it done in Guit?
>
> >>>>>>> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Gal Dolber <gal.dol...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >>>>>>>>http://code.google.com/p/gwtpsamplesinguit/
>
> >>>>>>>> --
> >>>>>>>> Guit: Elegant, beautiful, modular and *production ready* gwt
> >>>>>>>> applications.
>
> >>>>>>>>http://code.google.com/p/guit/
>
> >>>>>>>>  --
> >>>>>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> >>>>>>>> Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
> >>>>>>>> To post to this group, send email to
> >>>>>>>> google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
> >>>>>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> >>>>>>>> google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com<google-web-toolkit%2Bunsubs cribe@googlegroups.com>
> >>>>>>>> .
> >>>>>>>> For more options, visit this group at
> >>>>>>>>http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.
>
> >>>>>>> --
> >>>>>>> Magno Machado Paulo
> >>>>>>>http://blog.magnomachado.com.br
> >>>>>>>http://code.google.com/p/emballo/
>
> >>>>>>> --
> >>>>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> >>>>>>> Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
> >>>>>>> To post to this group, send email to
> >>>>>>> google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
> >>>>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> >>>>>>> google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com<google-web-toolkit%2Bunsubs cribe@googlegroups.com>
> >>>>>>> .
> >>>>>>> For more options, visit this group at
> >>>>>>>http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.
>
> >>>>>> --
> >>>>>> Christian Goudreau
> >>>>>>www.arcbees.com
>
> >>>>>>  --
> >>>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> >>>>>> Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
> >>>>>> To post to this group, send email to
> >>>>>> google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
> >>>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> >>>>>> google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com<google-web-toolkit%2Bunsubs cribe@googlegroups.com>
> >>>>>> .
> >>>>>> For more options, visit this group at
> >>>>>>http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.
>
> >>>>> --
> >>>>> Guit:
>
> ...
>
> read more »

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.




--
Guit: Elegant, beautiful, modular and production ready gwt applications.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment