Friday, September 10, 2010

Re: Gwt-platform vs Guit

Thx for your contributions & this lively exchange.

Am I the only one surprised that it is almost 2011 yet GWT doesn't
have input validation & data binding? (I'm going to study SmartGWT
shortly.) Does guit or gwt-platform? How will google's upcoming mvp
framework impact yours?

On Aug 24, 10:36 am, Gal Dolber <gal.dol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That would be great! more people we get into gwt better :D
>
> Yes, I have tried apt a bit, but a couldn't get it working. I need to give
> it another change with more time
>
> 2010/8/24 Christian Goudreau <goudreau.christ...@gmail.com>
>
>
>
> > Well in that case, what do you think about Eclipse APT ?
>
> > As for the first comment about MVP, I'm not really breaking it, only
> > extending it and it's also something that you can find here:
>
> >http://code.google.com/intl/fr-FR/webtoolkit/articles/mvp-architectur...
>
> > I'm not going any further than what's done here.
>
> > I'll look forward to those changes, you really got something great and
> > hopefully Gwt-Platform and Guit will grow over this :D
>
> > Cheers,
>
> > On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Gal Dolber <gal.dol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I consider myself a pure mvp developer. But no without a reason...
> >> Every time that I said... "I will break to pattern here, it will get
> >> simpler.." I end up with shitty implementations.. and when I go back a
> >> re-write them with mvp.. *WHOALA!*, the code gets simpler and finally
> >> makes sense.
> >> So I decided to stop trying to break the pattern and find a way to
> >> simplify it. Thats Guit.
>
> >> The $ convention is all over the place :) ... using generated setters
> >> solve to problem of maintaining the view, and it gets really easy to write
> >> "view.button$setText("Do not click!");" in your presenter and let eclipse
> >> create the method for you...
>
> >> Anyway, I am planning to solve the type-safe problem with a plugin for
> >> eclipse.
> >> I already wrote a validation plugin for EventBusHandlers and
> >> ViewHandlers...
>
> >> @ViewHandler
> >> public void button$click() { // If the view doesn't have a "button" field
> >> it gives if an alert
> >> }
>
> >> But the validation plugin worked with the old version of the framework,
> >> any time soon I will update it to work with the current one, and also add
> >> validation for GuitView setters.
>
> >> The plugin also have wizard for: Event/Handler, Action/Response/Handler
> >> and Presenter/View/ViewUiBinder/GinModule. I will release it as soon as
> >> possible...I am missing it myself.. still Guit error messages are great, but
> >> you need to Refresh the browser, Re-Run your test or compile to get them...
>
> >> 2010/8/24 Christian Goudreau <goudreau.christ...@gmail.com>
>
> >>> What a shame, I didn't read everything... Just saw your example, I really
> >>> don't like that naming convention of yours :D I would prefer something more
> >>> type safe that doesn't involve long named fonctions separated with $ to
> >>> access something.
>
> >>> Cheers,
>
> >>> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Christian Goudreau <
> >>> goudreau.christ...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>>> I believe is good to have 2 frameworks instead of one... competition
> >>>>> leads to great things..
>
> >>>> I agree with that point :D
>
> >>>> I will love to hear your opinion on this:
> >>>>>http://code.google.com/p/guit/wiki/GuitViewDesign
>
> >>>> Already took a loot, well first note, I'm not a conventional MVP user
> >>>> and don't take my arguments as if I wanted to be one :D I'm more a MVP part
> >>>> 2 like explained in the GWT page. Since you've done a good job to automate
> >>>> the event process between the view and the presenter, what will follow will
> >>>> probably not apply to your framework. No need for your binder class if you
> >>>> do MVP part 2 :D No custom annotation needed too and also no need to learn
> >>>> anything but what GWT already offer in that case.
>
> >>>> I think that when GWT introduced UiBinder, the already gave us a passive
> >>>> view that does nothing rendering our implementation of the MVP pattern a
> >>>> little bit more complexe since we had to pass everything from another
> >>>> passive view to the presenter. That's why, I'm giving a little more work to
> >>>> my "views" that apply to simple local task that isn't relevant to the
> >>>> presenter, thus simplifying my code and making it more easy to understand
> >>>> and more easy to read. Yes I have to test it, but I have simple test to
> >>>> write that I would have wrote inside my presenters anyway. Now I have a
> >>>> clear distinction between what's relevant to my app and what's relevant only
> >>>> to my view. You may disagree with me, but I ripped around 15 % lines of code
> >>>> in my apps by doing this.
>
> >>>> What's your going to do will disallow that, while not being a bad thing
> >>>> if you really have two passive view (view and view.ui.xml), but wouldn't be
> >>>> enough for that pattern that I now love :D
>
> >>>> Then another big question, how this will work with UiBinder for custom
> >>>> widgets that you'll make ? Yeah well, I think we fall back to old ways
> >>>> without any presenter associated.
>
> >>>> Anyway, I'm more a doer than a thinker, so I'll let anyone else
> >>>> elaborate on the subject :D (Philippe Beaudoin is the brain behind
> >>>> Gwt-Platform :D)
>
> >>>> Cheers,
>
> >>>> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Gal Dolber <gal.dol...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >>>>> Hi Christian!
>
> >>>>> I will love to join forces to have one great framework, but the truth
> >>>>> is that Guit started a year ago as the infrastructure for a project I am
> >>>>> about to finish right now. The funny part is that I also started looking at
> >>>>> the code of gwt-presenter and mvp4g.
>
> >>>>> I believe is good to have 2 frameworks instead of one... competition
> >>>>> leads to great things..
>
> >>>>> Now, about the Async places, if you annotate the Presenter's Place with
> >>>>> RunAsync your place automatically gets splitted (
> >>>>>http://code.google.com/p/guit/wiki/PlaceManager, at the bottom).
>
> >>>>> Also, one important thing about Guit is that all that generated code
> >>>>> that it produces is the same that you will hand-write without it.
> >>>>> You can see that looking at the generated code... you will only find
> >>>>> event registrations and a few field bindings, but you will never feel like
> >>>>> loosing control over your code.
>
> >>>>> I will love to hear your opinion on this:
> >>>>>http://code.google.com/p/guit/wiki/GuitViewDesign
> >>>>> That's the craziest change in my mvp implementation so far, and I
> >>>>> loving it. I am looking for down-sides and extra requirements that I didn't
> >>>>> think of yet.
>
> >>>>> Cheers!
>
> >>>>> 2010/8/24 Christian Goudreau <goudreau.christ...@gmail.com>
>
> >>>>> I saw that you can add an annotation over functions, but over an entire
> >>>>>> place, I don't know. Also, yeah well you may be generating a lot of code
> >>>>>> with generators, but I'm afraid that in the end, you'll loose freedom for
> >>>>>> customization.
>
> >>>>>> I would have loved to join forces into making a great framework
> >>>>>> instead of having different products, but I think each project have their
> >>>>>> good and bad points, even if we still have to fully compare each
> >>>>>> products.Our devotion to GWT-Platform started with Gwt-Presenter and we're
> >>>>>> committed to support it and improve it along with our users. Our commitment
> >>>>>> is to the community and it will always be a priority to improve our users
> >>>>>> experience with GWT-Platform and GWT.
>
> >>>>>> Anyway, nice job Gal, it's sure saves a lot of boiler plate for simple
> >>>>>> web pages like our Samples, I'll take a look even more deeper to see where
> >>>>>> it goes against something more complexe. Until I can speek with more
> >>>>>> objectivity while talking about Guit, I'll only say two thing: Open source
> >>>>>> rock and thanks for this comparison.
>
> >>>>>> Cheers,
>
> >>>>>> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Magno Machado <magn...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >>>>>>> I'm already using GWTP in a project, and what I most like on it is
> >>>>>>> how easy it is to have a presenter loaded asynchronously, this is done with
> >>>>>>> one line of code.
>
> >>>>>>> How is it done in Guit?
>
> >>>>>>> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Gal Dolber <gal.dol...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >>>>>>>>http://code.google.com/p/gwtpsamplesinguit/
>
> >>>>>>>> --
> >>>>>>>> Guit: Elegant, beautiful, modular and *production ready* gwt
> >>>>>>>> applications.
>
> >>>>>>>>http://code.google.com/p/guit/
>
> >>>>>>>>  --
> >>>>>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> >>>>>>>> Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
> >>>>>>>> To post to this group, send email to
> >>>>>>>> google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
> >>>>>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> >>>>>>>> google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com<google-web-toolkit%2Bunsubs cribe@googlegroups.com>
> >>>>>>>> .
> >>>>>>>> For more options, visit this group at
> >>>>>>>>http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.
>
> >>>>>>> --
> >>>>>>> Magno Machado Paulo
> >>>>>>>http://blog.magnomachado.com.br
> >>>>>>>http://code.google.com/p/emballo/
>
> >>>>>>> --
> >>>>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> >>>>>>> Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
> >>>>>>> To post to this group, send email to
> >>>>>>> google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
> >>>>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> >>>>>>> google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com<google-web-toolkit%2Bunsubs cribe@googlegroups.com>
> >>>>>>> .
> >>>>>>> For more options, visit this group at
> >>>>>>>http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.
>
> >>>>>> --
> >>>>>> Christian Goudreau
> >>>>>>www.arcbees.com
>
> >>>>>>  --
> >>>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> >>>>>> Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
> >>>>>> To post to this group, send email to
> >>>>>> google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
> >>>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> >>>>>> google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com<google-web-toolkit%2Bunsubs cribe@googlegroups.com>
> >>>>>> .
> >>>>>> For more options, visit this group at
> >>>>>>http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.
>
> >>>>> --
> >>>>> Guit:
>
> ...
>
> read more »

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment