Monday, May 31, 2010

Re: GWT 2.0.3: Cross-browser problems still?

On 31 mai, 01:28, Navigateur <naveen.c...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> When I came into GWT I thought it was going to be write-once for all
> browsers. Since I've been using it, I've had all kinds of cross-
> browser problems, in particular with events and graphics, and
> sometimes widgets. And I've had to do workarounds (which I still
> haven't fully resolved) to make it work the same in different
> browsers.
>
> I just wondered if everybody else has had smooth-sailing with browsers
> or if there are others with similar issues?

I haven't had that much issues. I can't say I didn't face any, but
they (almost) always had easy workarounds IIRC.

The main problem with GWT is that because developers don't see
JavaScript they think they don't even have to know HTML, JavaScript or
CSS, and sometimes even tend to forget they're coding a browser-base
app. Coding in Java means better (or, at least, different) tooling and
sharing code with the server (though it's moot as JavaScript tends to
come back to the server nowadays).

> I know this is a vent, but sometimes I wish I had used Flash instead!

I've been told that Flash isn't a silver-bullet. Might be browser-
engine agnostic (though still depends on the browser's plugin API) but
not platform (OS) agnostic.

> Maybe Google can write clear guidelines for third-party library
> developers, since some of their libraries with respect to events and
> graphics seem to contribute to (but are not the only) problem. And
> treat cross-browser differences as a priority e.g. the fact that the
> core widget focusPanel doesn't seem to register mouseMove events in
> Internet Explorer except on the widgets contained on it, but does so
> fine in Firefox/Chrome.

Internet Explorer is so strangely coded (with strong constraints on
backwards compat with its own bugs, embedded API, etc.) that it has
weird bugs that have to be solved on a case-by-case basis.
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=4985

> I hope everything written in GWT works the same in all browsers one
> day.

Given Internet Explorer's release schedule and update rate, you might
be dead and buried before it happens. Internet Explorer apart, it
might very well happen much sooner, if not already the case.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment