Wednesday, September 1, 2010

keyboard shortcuts with CTRL

Hi all,

I'm developing an enterprise application and all users scream for
keyboard shortcuts.
And not shortcuts like you see in GMail (focus some widget, press c to
compose a new mail etc) but true CTRL+N, CTRL+S like you see in a
desktop application.
I thought it really couldn't be done, till I tried the google docs in
Chrome: CTRL+B made my text bold. Wow, that works! But probably it
only works on Chrome right, I thought, so I didn't really believe in
it and let it pass.

Then I saw Microsoft releasing keyboard shortcuts in Hotmail. I tried
one and I got a pop up saying "hey you pressed some key, did you mean
it as keyboard shortcut?"... hahaha, so again I let it pass and
thought it couldn't be done.
But today I saw Microsoft releasing their Word, Excel... Office suite
on-line (search for Office Web Apps). I tried CTRL+B and it put my
text in bold and didn't show my Bookmarks bar instead! In IE8 and
Chrome.

Now, some proof that it doesn't really work all of the time: I
selected the text on the top of the page, hit CTRL+S and nothing
happens... there goes my belief in in-browser keyboard shortcuts
again.
I guess the keyboard listener is only put on the textarea and ribbon
bar and not a "true browser window listener".

Still, my question stands:
how can I block keyboard shortcuts like CTR+O, CTRL+N and do something
with them instead of letting the browser handle them (CTRL+N typically
opens a new browser window, I don't want that)? Any advice is much
appreciated.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment