Thursday, September 2, 2010

Separate modules for separate views?

I'm making an application that will have two types of users, type A
and type B. Type A users need MUCH MORE functionality than type B
users - in fact, type B users will only be able to see a single
screen, while type A will see more than ten.

I don't want all of the stuff for type A users to be downloaded by
type B users. However, I would like to reuse the code that type B
*does* need for type A users, since they will also need it.
Essentially, the B functionality is (very nearly) a subset of the A
functionality.

So it would make sense to me to make a module for type A and a module
for type B, right? And then, have an A.html host page and a separate
B.html host page. I want them to be in a single project because I'm
using appengine and need them both to deploy simultaneously -
otherwise, maybe I would just make them totally separate apps.


Question 1: Does this separation make sense?

Question 2: How do I achieve this separation? How do I make a
separate module that also compiles to js?

I started out with the B app pretty complete in an Eclipse project.
Then, I added a module, A.gwt.xml, and included all of the same source
paths, etc, as I saw in B.gwt.xml, but with a different EntryPoint. I
am assuming that module B will not compile all of the additional A
code, even though the A code is in the same directories, because the A
code will never be called from the B entry point.

Then I created A.html, and went to link to A.nocache.js... but I
realized that no such file was being generated. How do I tell
eclipse, or the gwt, or whomever, to please compile A.gwt.xml into a
separate, runnable js file?

Thanks for any help. I realize this might be a big question.

Riley

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment