Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Re: What are the benefits of using a MVP Framework?

Like I said, I'm new to all of this. I wasn't aware that the way the
MVP frameworks were set up in 2.1 would be more of a scaffolding and
that they were expecting them to be extended by third parties, hence
me deferring the question to people with more experience than I.

Trying to learn GWT, MVP, etc. all at the same time is a bit
overwhelming, not to mention sorting through all of the GWT-related
projects that do very similar things but do them differently. I simply
don't have time to go through them all right this second and figure
out which will work and won't. I wish I did, and I may spend some
personal time doing that, but the apps at work have to get done and I
don't really have any people using GWT at work to ask.

So I realize that having to hand-code the MVP stuff is ridiculous, but
I just didn't have time to sort through all the frameworks for this
first GWT app. That may be something I do for the second one, and
again, I will probably have to use personal time to do that. I come
from more of a web development background (and .NET with C# the past
several years), so things that are generally more Java-specific are
new to me as well. It's just too much to learn at once while trying to
actually get an app done by a deadline.

I want to use best practices for everything or else I wouldn't be on
these forums, watching the Google I/O stuff, trying to use MVP, etc.
But to someone who is new to a lot of this... I know there's a lot I
don't know and I'm trying to learn it as quickly as possible, but the
problem is I don't know exactly what I don't know.

On Aug 30, 2:28 pm, Gal Dolber <gal.dol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hope this won't sound too bad: why don't you hand-write dependency injection
> on every project?
>
> 2010/8/30 Falcon <msu.fal...@gmail.com>
>
>
>
> > Gal, Jambi was asking why you would use an MVP framework instead of
> > just doing it the way described in the MVP tutorial on the GWT site.
>
> > Jambi, I don't have a great answer for you as I'm new to all of this
> > myself, but I'd imagine it's to make your life easier and to handle
> > more things automatically for you. When you're doing an MVP app, you
> > find yourself writing a lot of similar code over and over again, but
> > it can be difficult to figure out how to abstract some of that out;
> > there's just an awful lot of boilerplate that goes along with getting
> > MVP working. I think the frameworks are intended to mitigate that
> > somewhat.
>
> > I will probably wait for GWT's built-in 2.1 stuff as well and just
> > "roll my own" until then, but it might not be bad to start with one of
> > the frameworks and migrate from that once 2.1 is out. Someone with
> > more experience can probably answer that better than I.
>
> > On Aug 30, 1:56 pm, Gal Dolber <gal.dol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > It makes unit-testing easier. Thats it.
> > > Without mvp you need to use GwtTestCase for all your client side tests,
> > and
> > > it isn't the fastest experience.
>
> > > 2010/8/30 Jambi <michael.lukaszc...@googlemail.com>
>
> > > > Hey guys,
>
> > > > i´m asking myself these days what´s the benefit of using a MVP
> > > > Framework like GWTP (never realy used it because i´m very new to the
> > > > whole MVP architecture) instead of writing your MVP app like it´s
> > > > described on the google code page? Is it a lot easier and more
> > > > comfortable? What´s the point of using a MVP framework at all, since it
> > > > ´s "just" a design pattern? Isn´t there a good MVP integration coming
> > > > in GWT 2.1 so that it´s not realy worth it to start using those
> > > > frameworks or am I completely wrong?
>
> > > > thanks, Michael
>
> > > > --
> > > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> > Groups
> > > > "Google Web Toolkit" group.
> > > > To post to this group, send email to
> > google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
> > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > > > google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com<google-web-toolkit%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com>
> > <google-web-toolkit%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com<google-web-toolkit%252Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com>
>
> > > > .
> > > > For more options, visit this group at
> > > >http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.
>
> > > --
> > > Guit: Elegant, beautiful, modular and *production ready* gwt
> > applications.
>
> > >http://code.google.com/p/guit/
>
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> > "Google Web Toolkit" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com<google-web-toolkit%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.
>
> --
> Guit: Elegant, beautiful, modular and *production ready* gwt applications.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/guit/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment