Thursday, September 2, 2010

Re: Separate modules for separate views?

Naturally, though I'd been looking for these answers for an hour
before I posted here, I discovered that if I used the google plugin to
create a new HTML page, it automatically configured whatever it needs
to configure to support two separate HTML pages with different modules
& different entry points. It seems to be working.

My only remaining question, then, is whether I'm right about how the
compiler works. To rephrase:

I have two modules, side by side in the same directory. They both
have the "client" and "shared" directories as source. If module B
hardly references any of the code in these folders, will the final
module B compiled JS omit the unused code? Or, since module B uses
the entire client folder as a source folder, will all of that unused
code for module A also get compiled into B?

Thanks again,

Riley

On Sep 2, 7:07 pm, Riley <rileyl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm making an application that will have two types of users, type A
> and type B.  Type A users need MUCH MORE functionality than type B
> users - in fact, type B users will only be able to see a single
> screen, while type A will see more than ten.
>
> I don't want all of the stuff for type A users to be downloaded by
> type B users.  However, I would like to reuse the code that type B
> *does* need for type A users, since they will also need it.
> Essentially, the B functionality is (very nearly) a subset of the A
> functionality.
>
> So it would make sense to me to make a module for type A and a module
> for type B, right?  And then, have an A.html host page and a separate
> B.html host page.   I want them to be in a single project because I'm
> using appengine and need them both to deploy simultaneously -
> otherwise, maybe I would just make them totally separate apps.
>
> Question 1: Does this separation make sense?
>
> Question 2: How do I achieve this separation?  How do I make a
> separate module that also compiles to js?
>
> I started out with the B app pretty complete in an Eclipse project.
> Then, I added a module, A.gwt.xml, and included all of the same source
> paths, etc, as I saw in B.gwt.xml, but with a different EntryPoint.  I
> am assuming that module B will not compile all of the additional A
> code, even though the A code is in the same directories, because the A
> code will never be called from the B entry point.
>
> Then I created A.html, and went to link to A.nocache.js... but I
> realized that no such file was being generated.  How do I tell
> eclipse, or the gwt, or whomever, to please compile A.gwt.xml into a
> separate, runnable js file?
>
> Thanks for any help.  I realize this might be a big question.
>
> Riley

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment