Saturday, September 18, 2010

Re: Receive xml file after authentication

Let me get this straight, you have a GWT client/ tomcat server site that has functionality you need to access from within a desktop application. As you say, there are a number of ways to get then connected. You don't say what the desktop app is written in, so I'm assuming its java based.

Combining PHP and GWT from different sites is relatively straight forward with javascript callbacks and session cookies.
An example of this is using the Facebook XFBML <fb:login-button> within my GWT-based application.
http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/login
After the user click thru the authentication pages, it triggers my callback function so that I can react to it myself.
As a side effect, it also dumps a cookie into the browser.

Another approach is the figure out how to emulate the GWT RPC from within your desktop application.
I tried to research this about a year ago and came up only with this nugget.
http://www.gdevelop.com/w/blog/2010/01/10/testing-gwt-rpc-services/
Its a way to write GWT RPC test harnesses from pure standalone java which then can be called from something like CruiseControl. I went with the simple XML http post servlet method instead so I'm not sure what state this solution is in.

Lastly another option is to use JSONP to communicate between the three parts.

Good  luck,
--Andy

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 8:48 AM, kkpirri <hkakashisharingan@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Need to communicate a desktop application with my GWT site in a tomcat
server. The desktop application creates a XML document and the
authentication info must be sent to the GWT site. The authentication
must be done automatically; the user and the password are stored on
the client machine and the file must be send after authentication or
with the authentication package. I thought on using digest
authentication or send the XML using SOAP, but I don't know how this
can be done with GWT. I also thought on combining PHP (for
authentication and file receiving) and the GWT site with java back-
end, but I don't know how to share the session variables and cookies
between the two platforms.

I would appreciate your help and any other suggestion you can give me.

Thank you very much

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment