Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Supersourcing own clode and maintenance

Hi there,

I start to get tiered of maintenance overhead of my own code that I have to duplicate as GWT super-sourced classes. For some static pieces of code I can extract to a super-sourced utility, but if I have to add or override methods (e.g. readObject/writeObject) or constructors I can currently see no other way than duplicating the entire file just to have a super-sourced copy with maybe <1% difference. But whenever I change the original file, I must not forget to merge these changes into the super-sourced duplicate.
Is there any feature I am missing?
Do not get me wrong - GWT is really cool as it offers super-sourcing so it is already great that I have a solution at all to my problem.
But what would be even cooler is something like this:

  // IF_GWT_IS_SERVER {
  static final String LINE_SEPARATOR = System.getProperty(StringUtil.SYSTEM_PROPERTY_LINE_SEPARATOR);
  // } ELSE_IF_GWT_IS_CLIENT {
  // static final String LINE_SEPARATOR = "\n";
  // } END_IF_GWT

This is just a stupid example that could also be solved with a small utility but it shows the general idea.
Would this be hard to build into the GWT compiler?
Or is there already some similar feature that I am missing?

Thanks & regards
  Jörg

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment