Thursday, October 20, 2016

Re: Cannot Debug GWT with Eclipse

My setting is straightforward although I have to say this is simply for me to start learning about debugging GWT, and more so, doing it on an external server (so I don't have much restrictions). I am running WebSphere Application Server (8.5.5) and have my GWT application deployed (war) which I can access/view.

The WAS runs on localhost IP with 9080 port. What arguments do I have to pass to be able to hook the debugging session to my web application deployed on the application server?


On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 12:41:41 AM UTC-4, Brandon Donnelson wrote:
Sure you can debug on any server, that said, if the web server is on a different ip than the code server there's an issue to workaround, b/c the project.nocache.js has hostname issue. I'm not sure if this is the case for you yet, but usually when you want to debug on a different server they have a different ip. 

Before I go into this, I'd like to know if the web server ip is the same as the code server ip? Let's say you get the project.nocache.js, by pointing the launcherDir at war output path, or by using a publishing routine, then you load the page, it should compile. Except the nocache.js script uses $window.location.hostname to get the code server address. Instead you can hand change the ip before pushing it the server, which is laborious, or use a class clobber, by using this on the classpath https://github.com/gwt-plugins/codeserver/blob/master/codeserver/src/main/java/com/google/gwt/dev/codeserver/LauncherDir.java#L127. Or maybe I get my patch accepted to make it possible to easily debug on a external server with a different ip than the code server. 

https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/issues/9446 - patch proposal for easily debugging on a server with different ip. 

Describe your networking config for you servers and I can help more. 

-Brandon

On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 6:17:54 PM UTC-7, Namline wrote:
Is there a way to debug the GWT application (client and server) just like your plugin allows while running in SuperDevMod while it has been deployed on an application server, e.g. WebSphere with say, localhost:9080/MyApp context root?


On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 11:51:22 PM UTC-4, Brandon Donnelson wrote:
Thanks for the update. Sounds like some of the name space had to be reset in the configuration. I've seen this happen until the project is refreshed or reimported. 

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 7:00 PM Namline <blahb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Brandon,

Sorry for the delay in response (happy hours). So, here's what happened (I am running Eclipse Mars 4.5.2 (R2) with Google Plugin for Eclipse already installed (Windows 7)):

I installed GWT Eclipse Plugin 3.0.0 from Eclipse market place, and as you had suggested, on the second page, I chose the second radio to uninstall Google Plugin for Eclipse. Moreover I had GWT 2.8 unchecked (I won't be using it).
I did not run into any issue with the installation itself, however, when I attempted to run, debug, or compile my existing "HelloWorld" GWT application, it wasn't even recognizing it as a GWT project!
First, I had to reset the GWT library in the build config as it somehow had messed it up.
Second, I went to my existing GWT project's Properties -> Project Facets and select GWT option as it somehow had been removed.

Afterward, I was able to run and debug as normal.


On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 11:28:02 PM UTC-4, Brandon Donnelson wrote:
Good question. The goal is to uninstall GPE or GPE-Fork. I put in a conflict so it will ask you to uninstall it. I recommend using Java EE Neon and starting with a clean install. I haven't tested enough of the uninstalling. In theory it should work fine. I did find some hiccups along the way, but I hadn't finished fixing bugs either, and did that along the way. If you're game, I'd be interested in hearing if you can just install the new plugin with GWT Eclipse Version 3, and have the GPE uninstalled along the way. When it asks you to instal the plugin, be sure to check the second radio, uninstalling GPE. You'll see what I mean if you go that route. 

Hope that helps,
Brandon

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 7:58 PM Namline <blahb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Brandon,

Thanks. I just watched your video on YouTube. Excellent job for newbies like me.

Quick question. As a starter, I have Google Plugin for Eclipse installed. Do I have to uninstall it before installing GWT Eclipse Plugin V3?



On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 1:40:43 PM UTC-4, Brandon Donnelson wrote:
SDBG is the way to go for debugging, like they said. 

Keep in mind if the Chrome dev tools are open it will take over the breakpoints, and they are stated in Chrome dev tools. If Chrome dev tools are closed, and you opened debugging the browser with the SDBG Javascript debugger shortcut, then Eclipse is in charge of the break points, console output and trace inspection. 

I'll create a video and guide here shortly. And talk about it at GWT Con. https://github.com/gwt-plugins/gwt-eclipse-plugin/projects/2

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/google-web-toolkit/TOVusERKYhU/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-we...@googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/google-web-toolkit/TOVusERKYhU/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-we...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment