Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Re: DateBox incorrect time past certain dates

We found that the best approach is to pick all dates at midnight UTC and convert them as necessary on the server. You can read about it here:

http://traction.tractionsoftware.com/traction/permalink/Blog1986

Cheers,
Andy

On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:29:04 PM UTC-4, William Davis wrote:
I have run across a rather annoying issue, I have been looking for others with similar problems but cannot seem to narrow it down to a solution that will work for me. The following problem has to do with getting the date from a DateBox. First of all, I always get the right date and timezone offset in dev mode, and I am only doing things on the client side. So when I am running a compiled version this is what happens:

Lets take the scenario of picking a date pre November 1974 for a client in the New Zealand time zone. What is interesting about this date is that before this time there was no daylight savings time for this area. So if I pick a date it shows the time zone offset being +13:00 which it should be +12:00 but it is adding the hour for DST even though DST hasn't been established yet. What is interesting is that when I run in Dev Mode, it knows this and gives the correct offset of +12:00. 

Same goes for choosing dates in the USA before 1918 which is when DST was established there. 

I can only assume that there must be a difference in the way the compiled javascript handles the timezone offset.

If anyone has found a good solution to account for this issue, or would like to enlighten me on the precise details of why this happens and what can be done about it, I would be most grateful.

Just as a reference I am getting the date and format as follows:
DateTimeFormat dateFormat = DateTimeFormat.getFormat("yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ssZZZ");
String dateString = dateFormat.format(dateBox.getValue());

Thanks,
Will

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment