Friday, January 12, 2024

Re: Is moving away from RPC a good idea?

Fully agree - and very much like the example!

Leon Pennings <leon.pennings@gmail.com> schrieb am Fr. 12. Jan. 2024 um 14:59:
I think moving away from gwt-rpc is a bad idea. 
A big advantage of GWT is that I can code everything in java and do not have to serialize anything to and from text.
That to me is one of the usp's of GWT.
Going from java -> json -> java (or gwt java), is like trying to have a complex conversation between 2 Dutch guys, but with a German translator in between. 




Op donderdag 11 januari 2024 om 16:20:32 UTC+1 schreef Vassilis Virvilis:
Hi Vegegoku,

Thanks for clearing that up.

At some point I will definitely try the domino-rest/jackson.

For now I dread the time I will eventually be forced to port my current setup.


On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 5:13 PM Vegegoku <aka...@gmail.com> wrote:
The annotation on the POJO is not required at all, Domino-rest will auto generate the json-mapping classes if the jax-rs/jakarata resource consumes/produces a json even if the annotation is missing, so you can keep the POJO clean or only have Jackson compatible annotations. ;-)

On Thursday, January 11, 2024 at 11:35:05 AM UTC+3 Vassilis Virvilis wrote:
First of all thanks for doing this work. It is hugely appreciated and required in order to avoid GWT and GWT projects look like zombies in a dead landscape.

I am using RestyGWT and yes I also believe it uses Generators (GWT.create() ?). I am facing a problem there since RestyGWT is deadish itself.

One of the reasons I abandoned GWT-RPC was Jsinterop. With Jsinterop you can include and link to js libraries in the client. Some of them require data from the backend e.g. datatables.net, d3 etc. GWT-RPC is not compatible with them so I would need to use RequestFactory, which I never liked or another framework. So why have two of them? Use one. Go to JSON. RestyGWT was the only viable choice at the time.

With Resty-GWT I can have my POjOs without annotations, and I can share them between backend, frontend and other clients (non web). RestyGWT has 2 backends:
- an older private jackson like (forked) implementation. That's the one I use.
- a newer gwt-jackson based one. This one never worked for me.

Furthermore I have invested in RestGWT and I have some custom patches so RestyGWT can transmit my generics.

At this point domino-jackson and domino-rest looks like the way forward but from a quick look require annotations in the POJO and this is something that I would like to avoid.

Just my 2 bits. Sorry if incoherent...




On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 9:45 PM Michael Conrad <mic...@newsrx.com> wrote:
You should investigate the DominoKit project. They have a much more up-to-date JSON/Jackson-ish implementation.

Ref: https://github.com/DominoKit/domino-rest



On 1/10/24 11:26, Christian Hebert wrote:
Hi guys, I've seen the changes in the new release regarding jakarta servlets, which is great, it's a step toward jakarta but to this day,  GWT is still based on the Servlet API 3.1.

Prior of seeing that change, I tried to move away from RPC calls and use http requests instead. I found a nice library called RestyGWT (https://resty-gwt.github.io/) who can really simplify the process of handling json data from/to a Rest API.

So I converted my GWT remote servlets to a Rest API, made a few minor changes in my client code and voilà, I was able to deploy it on a Jakarta Application server since there is no GWT involved on the server side anymore.

The last version of RestyGWT has been release in 2020 so I'm not sure how active this project is but from what I've seen it's enough for me.

So, I would like to get your thoughts on that.  Would you go on that road? stick to RPC calls and wait for a version of GWT based on Jakarta? build your "own" GWT with the changes introduced in the vew version?
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-web-toolkit/8fa7dc19-2a15-442d-93b2-adebb947046cn%40googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com.


--
Vassilis Virvilis

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-web-toolkit/7cd6c443-c38e-48fa-8098-e469f9afc145n%40googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-web-toolkit/CACwwWxOY__WK09bSE2xDpvDvzE2uPq%2BDYkNg9_%2B0JsO1C5Z-2Q%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment