Sunday, January 16, 2022

Re: Performance Comparison GWT Transpiler with MacBook Pro M1 Pro processor

Hi All,

thanks a lot for the data, really appreciate this 🙏

Apple M1 Max 64: 1m11s (identical with the test in my second article M1 Max)

and Linux AMD (which is much cheaper 😊): 1m33s 
... almost identical with M1 Pro: 1m25s (my first article)

So, for desktop we could just use Linux AMD, cheaper and fast enough 😅

Thanks a lot!
Lofi

leon.p...@gmail.com schrieb am Sonntag, 16. Januar 2022 um 10:17:36 UTC+1:

My current machine has an AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, 32GB mem - this was around a 900-1000 euro build from late last year.
I installed the same jdk and used the same mvn (see screenshots)

For normal mvn clean install I had 02:24 and for the mvn -T 1C clean install I had 1:33

I think for another 2-300 euro's for a better processor I could do a lot better still.

Leon.









Op zondag 16 januari 2022 om 02:46:22 UTC+1 schreef Shawn:
Hi,

01:11 min was the best I could get with an Apple M1 Max, 64GB.  

[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------

[INFO] Reactor Summary for gwt-boot-samples 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT:

[INFO] 

[INFO] gwt-boot-sample-basic .............................. SUCCESS [ 46.823 s]

[INFO] gwt-boot-sample-collection ......................... SUCCESS [01:07 min]

[INFO] gwt-boot-sample-elemento-core ...................... SUCCESS [ 53.763 s]

[INFO] gwt-boot-sample-elemento-template .................. SUCCESS [ 53.487 s]

[INFO] gwt-boot-sample-rxgwt .............................. SUCCESS [01:00 min]

[INFO] gwt-boot-sample-domino-rest ........................ SUCCESS [01:11 min]

[INFO] gwt-boot-sample-ui-gwtbootstrap3 ................... SUCCESS [01:03 min]

[INFO] gwt-boot-sample-ui-gwtmaterial ..................... SUCCESS [01:08 min]

[INFO] gwt-boot-sample-ui-domino .......................... SUCCESS [01:11 min]

[INFO] gwt-boot-sample-ui-domino-dagger2 .................. SUCCESS [01:10 min]

[INFO] gwt-boot-sample-ui-vue-gwt ......................... SUCCESS [01:00 min]

[INFO] gwt-boot-sample-ui-dncomponents .................... SUCCESS [01:07 min]

[INFO] gwt-boot-samples ................................... SUCCESS [  0.181 s]

[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------

[INFO] BUILD SUCCESS

[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------

[INFO] Total time:  01:11 min (Wall Clock)

[INFO] Finished at: 2022-01-15T12:39:42-10:00

[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shawn
On Saturday, January 15, 2022 at 5:38:21 AM UTC-10 lofid...@gmail.com wrote:
@leon.p:

This would be interesting...  Could you try to build the project as I mentioned in my article? To see what time we would get there?

Here is the article: 


and


Record is: 

1. Without -T 1C clean install: 2m21s
2. With -T 1C clean install: 1m13s

Would like to see if someone can get faster than this 😉

Thanks, Lofi
leon.p...@gmail.com schrieb am Samstag, 15. Januar 2022 um 13:19:48 UTC+1:
For around a 1000 euro, you can build a desktop that is faster compiling than any laptop.
And on linux the memory is used a lot more efficient than on a mac, so you need less.
That being said - I have a macbook when I travel. But in the office and at home I switched to working on desktops about 5 yrs ago.



Op woensdag 12 januari 2022 om 09:12:42 UTC+1 schreef Shawn:
I kinda like the Max 64GB.  I'm pushing 54GB used for eclipse (running an appengine dev and GWT server) during a build.  My upload to google cloud is slow so after the build I can easily start developing again while it's deploying.

I also use a ramdisk and set the GWT SuperDev mode to use that with  -workDir /Users/me/.tmpdisk/GWT_RAM_DISK.  Then build with an ant task and add this to the gwtc java task for building.

<sysproperty key="gwt.persistentunitcachedir" value="/Users/me/.tmpdisk/GWT_RAM_DISK"/>


No benchmarks but probably the biggest benefit is debugging which I still do in Eclipse via SDGB.

I haven't been able to get Eclipse to run natively as macOS AArch64 is only available from the 2021-12 version which just borks my project.  It seems to be a conflict with the google-cloud-plugin I use for appengine.  Still 2021-09 with emulated Eclipse is a major improvement especially since the dev server and build processes can be run natively.

Anyway, 32GB on a pro ordered today is about a month to get delivery and 64GB on a max is about two months.  I got a 64GB max with 32 GPUs (maybe I can use those for machine learning) as it was the only way to get more than 16GB of memory without waiting so long and I had to move suddenly and couldn't bring my iMac.  

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 9:17 AM 'Frank Hossfeld' via GWT Users <google-we...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
No, sorry ... closed source. Yep, I agree with. Don't think, that the graphics CPUs will have an impact of the compile time.
So, the M1 Pro is a great choice for developers. Now I am waiting for the next Mac Pro ...

Jens schrieb am Montag, 6. Dezember 2021 um 10:32:15 UTC+1:
I did some tests with one of my larger GWT projects. It takes 3:55 on my "old" MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4 GHz, 64 GB RAM. Same project build on a new MacBook Pro M1 Max 64 GB takes roundabout 2:00. That's an incredible improvement. 

Is that project public? Then I would try it with my M1 Pro 32gb which is IMHO the best value for developers, unless you do graphics stuff.

-- J. 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GWT Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-web-toolkit/056f34bd-6777-4489-9050-627754ddad56n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment