Thursday, September 9, 2010

Re: Variable UI

This one app is a card game, with approx. some hundred cards when
fully designed. So each card has a small image shown in the UI
(dragable, if possible 2 rows a 5 small cards independent of the
resolution) and on click shows a popup with the full image including
card description. Furthermore 5 small views of stacks to the left on
top of each other, which mainly consist of smaller versions of the
same cards. The popups from the small stacks are the same images in
different sizes once again...

I created widgets for this card type, to take care of presenting the
small image with possibility to display the full one, etc. Furthermore
options to automatically scale the card to a certain height (by using
the setHeight() , setWidth() methods). It all works, once the browser
was refreshed. I also dynamically create the playfield, left an area
for card stacks, right side a play field with drag and drop support.
But even the play area is not proportioned correctly until refresh...
(I set 1/5 percentage of Window.getClientWidth() for the card stack
area)

The caching of the images is right now to present each card image once
on the screen, cause I only know that way to cache the images in the
browser (since ImageBundle doesn't work for my case I guess...). So I
have a timer running switching through every possible card with a
certain speed low enough to show the cards on screen...

So this all together is everything but satisfying... For the cards I
either need different resolutions on the server, so I can adjust to
the client window size, or I have to create them dynamically...
I want this to run on the GAE for now, so the more work the client
does, the better, right? (With respect to quotas)

Anyway, I really appreciate your help :-) You're quite right that I
don't have much experience in web development ;-)

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-web-toolkit+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment